Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Memories of Grandma






   On September 26, 2013, I lost my grandma. She had gone for 10 years with undiagnosed Lupus. It had completely wrecked her body. Eventually, it took it's toll on her. I watched her go from this fun-loving, laughing person to a shell. I watched this disease steal my grandma's life.
   My grandma was a vibrant, fun-loving person. Her favorite things to watch were HSN, QVC, and RFD-TV. (She loved Marty Stuart)  She knew her customer number to HSN and QVC by heart. She loved using me as her guinea pig on the new products she had bought....I was all for it because I got to spend time with her. There was also music in grandma's house. It was everything from Elvis, the Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, J.D. Sumner and the Stamps Quartet, Charlie Pride, Bon Jovi, and everything in between. Between her and my mom, this is where I got my love of all types of music. When it came to school dances, she would always do my nails. That was our special time. If grandpa would go out town for something, I would go out and spend the night with her. We would always end up watching a scary movie. Then we would end up barricading ourselves in the house. If there would have been a fire, there is no way we could have made it out! We were always getting ourselves into something. I spent a lot of my free time with her. We didn't have to do anything special. We didn't even have to talk. As long as we were with each other, we were happy. We didn't have your typical grandmother/granddaughter relationship. We were best friends.
  On September 26, 2013, she received her ultimate healing. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her. The littlest thing can trigger a memory. I'm thankful for those and the promise that I will one day see her again. 
  Lupus is a terrible disease. It can slowly take away everything from a person. I refuse to let this happen to me. I'm going to fight it. I will fight it with all that I have. Am I going to have my bad days? YES! But I won't give up. I may slow down, but I won't stop. This disease will not will not take me.






No comments:

Post a Comment